Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Eye Opener: CSPI


For this Eye Opener I chose to take the eating green calculator. It started off asking me how much servings of beef, chicken, pork, milk and yogurt, hard cheese, and eggs I eat each week. It took me a little while to think of all of these because I guess I have never really thought about how many servings I consume in a weeks time. After I entered in my servings I clicked the calculate impact button. I was surprised when I saw the results. It stated that because of my diet I use up 0.6 acres of grain and grass needed to feed the animals I eat, 20.8 pounds of fertilizer and .02 pounds of pesticides needed to grow the food these animals eat, and the most shocking number is the animals I eat create 3890 pounds of manure! GROSS

After reading my results it asked me if I was able to cut down my servings of animal products I eat each week. I don't think it would be too hard to cut down on some servings so I re-took the quiz, imputing fewer servings and got better results. After the second time the quiz stated that with the changes that I made I would be consuming 13% less fat, 23% less saturated fat, and 44% less cholesterol each week and I only cut my beef, chicken and milk servings down by one.


At the end of the quiz it asked me if I was willing to take a pledge to eat less meat and dairy products and I took it. I think I can reduce my impact just by adding more fruits, vegetables, nuts, and whole grains to my diet. I am looking forward to starting to be more concious of the food I consume and making a better impact on our earth.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Shannon, delicious picture. Yeah I agree, 3890 pounds of manure would be pretty gross! I'm glad you plan to take on the challenge of cutting down your meat consumption. I am trying to do the same but honestly I don't think I'll be able to cut down my dairy consumption by much. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shannon, great job on your post! I was shocked at how much fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol you cut out of your diet by just reducing your sevings of beef, chicken, and milk, by one serving. That really says a lot. I am also really excited that you took the pledge to eat less meat and dairy products. Good for you! Think of the difference that your are going to make.

    ReplyDelete