Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Share and Voice: Earth Day


I saw a commercial advertising Earth Day and it got me thinking about what Earth Day actually is and what the history is behind it. Earth Day is a day set aside for people all over the world to put all of our busy schedules to the side and appreciate the world we live in and what the earth provides for us. It all started in 1969 during a conference in Washington, Senator Gaylord Nelson of Wisconsin announced that in the spring of 1970 there would be a nationwide grassroots demonstration on the environment. On April 22, 1970 the first Earth Day ever was celebrated. Over 2o million people participated on the first Earth Day and now more than 500 million people in 175 different countries celebrate on April 22. Senator Nelson chose this week in April because he wanted to maximize participation on college campuses. He picked this week because it did not conflict with spring breaks or religious holidays, but it was late enough to have decent weather. If you click on the Earth Day link above it will take you to the Earth Day site. This site has a lot of cool things like links to their current campaigns to improve our earth, another ecological footprint quiz, online store, and a countdown til the next Earth Day which is April 22, 2009! If you are interested in anything else about Earth Day you can check out any of these links:


National Earth Day Symbol






4 comments:

  1. Shannon,
    Great post. I always see this commercial on T.V and am willing to take the challenge. Hopefully with all the knowledge we've got under our belts, the whole class will take part. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post Shannon, I don't watch Tv a lot, so thanks for the info. We always had a big event for Earth Day in high school. I miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea for a share and voice! I actually haven't seen the TV commercial, so that is really cool that you are sharing about it. I know that my schools in the past have participated by planting a tree or something, but I have never really gotten involved. I think that this year looks like a great year to try since we have this class and all. I really like that you added different links so that we could take different quizzes and learn new things. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never really knew what Earth Day was, but I remember always doing things for Earth Day in grade school... oooh those were the days :)Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete